I recently discovered that the grocery store right near us sells vegan (notably dairy free) puff pastry. As a lover of pie, here's a leek, asparagus and mushroom pie - which I made without dairy, but you could easily include if you wished.
Ingredients (serves 4)
For the filling
- 2 leeks (chopped into 1-2cm circles)
- 200g of asparagus (remove the woody parts then cut into halves)
- Olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves (crushed)
- 400g mushrooms
- A couple of sprigs of fresh rosemary and thyme
- Salt and pepper
For the white sauce
- 40g butter
- 2 tbsp flour
- 350ml of almond, oat or other alternative milk
- 1 270g sheet of ready-made pastry
- 1 egg or some milk for brushing
- Sauté the leeks and asparagus in olive oil with a the crushed garlic cloves, for only a couple of minutes or until the leek just starts to soften.
- Add the mushrooms (cutting the larger ones into smaller pieces), fresh mixed herbs (rosemary thyme), and season. Cover and cook for another 8 minutes.
- Make a white sauce in a saucepan; mix the butter and flour into a paste at a low heat, add the milk and continue stirring until the sauce thickens.
- Add in the vegetables and leave to cool down in the pan. Whilst you wait for this, preheat the oven to 200C.
- Put your filling into a pie dish, top with the pastry and fork the edges, brush with egg or more milk, then criss-cross with a knife.
- Cook for 25 minutes, serve with some lightly steamed or boiled veg & baby potatoes.