There are few meals more satisfying and filling than dahl.
This is my wife's family recipe for sweet potato dahl.
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 1 large onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tbsp naturally sweetened ketchup
- 250g red split lentils
- 2 large sweet potatoes (diced into bite size cubes, optionally peeled)
- 600ml vegetable stock
- Lightly fry the onion in a saucepan until it starts to brown.
- Crush and add the garlic cloves, cook for a further minute.
- Add the spices and a little bit of ketchup. Mix this over a low heat until nicely combined and the onion mix is coated.
- Add the sweet potatoes and cook until slightly browned on the sides.
- Pour the lentils into the pan followed by the vegetable stock, which should cover the contents of the pan.
- Stir well, bring to the boil, then lower the temperature to a simmer and cover for 20-25 minutes.
This pairs nicely with rice, chapatis or naan bread. I like to serve it with some mango juice and avocado.